Blog Social Networking




I remember a time when I was young and my mom and I were talking about her day at work. She told me that she had been interviewing potential clients all day and that resumes weren't enough anymore. Because people became so good at putting on a show during interviews but being a completely different person on their social media sites. So, it became a part of her job to look up their social networking sites (mostly Facebook at the time.)

Needless to say, none of those potential employees got the job. In the article, Social Networking Technologies, a company recruiter states that "Social networking technology is absolutely the best thing to happen to recruiting — ever." By using Social Networking to recruit employees, you're definitely not limited anymore like you were back then. You can find anyone that’s perfect for your job even if they didn’t hear about your hiring.

In this sense, Social Networking is a benefit to society. Like I’ve said before, I also think social networking brings people together from all over the world. The other day I was watching a video on PBS called “The digital age” and it showed examples of how businesses use social networking to hold meetings/ meet people without actual meeting them. In the article, How Does Technology Affect Kids’ Friendships, they stated that “Some researchers believe that the impersonal nature of texting and online communication may make it easier for shy kids to connect with others.” I agree, I think in terms of being in contact like this with your friends via social networking can definitely benefit your social life in that aspect.

Of course, where there is light there is dark. Social networking also has a dark side that hasn’t seemed to go away. Occurrences such as cyber bullying and texting explicit languages have been going on for almost a decade. There have been deaths over things like that. And most of the time, the writer doesn’t even realize or understand how terrible the things they say and do are. I know they are currently, but I hope they resolve this issue in the future.

Readings:

Social Networking Technology Boosts Job Recruiting by Frank Langfitt, NPR, March 16, 2008. available from http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6522523&sc=emaf

Antisocial Networking? by Hilary Stout, New York Times, May 2, 2010, p. ST1. Available at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/fashion/02BEST.html

And just in case anyone was interested in that PBS video I spoke about:

Comments

Popular Posts